1. Are you insured? Can you supply me with proof of liability?
Many responsible business owners carry liability insurance to protect their businesses and the consumer. Many locations are beginning to require proof of liability. Ask for proof of liability insurance. Disc Jockey's receive a Certificate of Liability which can be used as proof. Yes, Purrfect Occassions carries liability insurance.
2. Will you be willing to play requests and discuss music ahead of time?
A versatile Disc Jockey is willing to listen to your suggestions, give you feedback and play from your desired song list. A professional Disc Jockey will also accept the fact you may not want certain songs played. A professional Disc Jockey cannot know everything about your musical preferences and entertainment needs without communication. Visit our website planning tools to the left to choose your music for your event.
3. Do you use Professional Equipment?
Ask whether your prospective Disc Jockey works with professional audio equipment. If you are not sure, ask for their equipment list and check with a local music dealer or the A.D.J.A. to verify they are using professional-grade sound gear. Remember that professional gear does not guarantee an entertainer's talent or service level, but is simply a tool for building an exceptional event. Purrfect Occassions uses Rane, Crown, EV, and Mackie.
4. Do you provide backup equipment at my event?
Although equipment failure is rare, do you really want your special occasion ruined because your Disc Jockey did not come prepared? It is also important to know if your Disc Jockey has a back-up plan in case of illness or an accident. Members of the A.D.J.A. have many resources available to them in case of an emergency. You may also reach our Hotline number to get a Disc Jockey when you have an emergency. The toll-free number is 888-723-5776. Purrfect Occassions has one entertainer "on-call" just for such situations. We guarantee to be there and be ready to start your event on time, or your money back, no questions asked!
5. Booking a reliable Disc Jockey is a very important decision for the success of your party. Selecting a Disc Jockey who is an active member of the American Disc Jockey Association will provide you with the confidence that you have selected a trained professional. A.D.J.A. members are more likely to be involved with other Disc Jockey's who can help them out with an unexpected situation.
6. Does the Disc Jockey know the proper etiquette for your type of party?
A professional Disc Jockey will assist you with the planning of your special day. Most professional entertainers will coordinate, emcee and provide the music that you desire. Ask if they have experience with your type of event.
7. How much time do you allow for set-up?
Punctuality is a necessity. Most Disc Jockey's arrive at least one hour prior to the start time you've given them. Your entertainer should ideally be setup and in-place before your first guest walks through the door.
8. Do you provide a written contract?
It is extremely important to have your booking confirmed in writing. Ask for a written agreement, especially if you are paying an initial retainer. The standard initial payment for entertainment services is 50%. If you are expecting a specific entertainer, make sure you get it in writing as well. While the standard deposit is 50%, Purrfect Occassions only asks for $100 down as a reservation fee. The reservation fee, as well as any prepayments are applied to your contract balance.
9. Will you be suitably dressed for our occasion?
Specify the type of apparel that your Disc Jockey is expected to wear for your occasion. Formal attire or coat & tie are the most popular forms of attire. If you are having a "themed" event, make sure your entertainer is informed.
10. Do you belong to a professional organization or trade group?
Although belonging to an organization or trade group does not guarantee the talent or professionalism of a disc jockey, it may indicate the companies willingness to network, learn and grow. Disc jockeys can learn through local chapter meetings, national DJ conventions and seminars geared toward the entertainment professional. Purrfect Occassions belongs to the American Disc Jockey Association and the local Chamber of Commerce of St Joseph County. The information presented here are some typical questions asked, and is used in our website with permission from the American Disc Jockey Association.
11. Do you use an IPOD during a performance? This may sound like a great idea, but NO! I encourage you to check out the link on our site about IPOD weddings. Granted, not every wedding utilizing the technology of an IPOD will end up like the wedding illustrated through the American Disc Jockey Association. The lack of knowledge and proper training was the demise. An IPOD can be a suitable "backup" when in a pinch. After all, you want the music to continue, not to stop. Proper training as a Wedding Planning Specialist, will make the difference.
Other Items to Note
Disc Jockey rates vary based on talent, experience, emcee ability, service, coordination, equipment needed, music knowledge, mixing ability and personality.
Rates for the DJ industry vary greatly, ranging from $350.00 to $3,500.00 with an average of $1,200.00 for a 4 hour booking. The best price is not always the best deal, especially if you are planning a wedding. As a matter of fact, surveys conclude that nearly 100% of brides would have spent more money on their entertainment and made it their #1 priority in hindsight.
A full-service disc jockey company will normally invest 12 to 30 hours to your special event but it may appear that you are only paying for "4 hours". Consultations, music purchasing & editing, preparation, set-up and tear-down, education and other business related endeavors add up to the overall success of your special occasion.